Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Family

I was thinking about family the other day.  Not just the people I live with, but my roots...my heritage, where I came from.  This was sort of prompted by facebook.  A message popped up on my screen from my cousin, Paul. I haven't seen him for 13 years.  He lives somewhere in California...almost like a different country to me...he has 2 children whom I've never met, and a wife.  I think I met her once.  His message was "hey long lost cousin...how's it going?"  Simple.  Nothing profound in that message, but as I read it, I instantly felt a pang of something...perhaps a feeling of 'I wish we were all closer', or maybe something even deeper.  Later on I learned that his daughter, Taylor, who is obviously a talented artist, won some sort of award and her artwork is going to be displayed in a California park for at least the next 20 years.  I was so proud of her, but I don't know her.  How can I be so proud of someone I don't even know?

I feel the same way about my brothers kids.  I am proud of their accomplishments.  I don't see them very often, even though they live close by...schedules just make it difficult.  Especially since we both have 5 kids.  I feel a bond with them, a desire to protect them.  Almost like a lioness in a pack of other lion mommies, protecting all of the cubs. 

I don't know where I'm going with all of this...just thinking.  Maybe just missing my long lost family.  People so far away that they are beyond my reach.  Some in heaven, some just living too far away to have a relationship with.  Family is important.  I guess maybe we just need to plan a reunion.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment